Adventures of Scooter Girl

Midlife crisis spurred my best purchase ever: My 2004 Vespa ET4, 150 ccs of fun.

Tuesday, November 01, 2005

NOO YORK CITY

Well, I had a most wonderful weekend in NYC with Sarah and Christina. Sarah and I arrived at around the same time on Friday evening, so connected in the JetBlue baggage claim, then successfully negotiated the AirTrain and subway to the Lobos' wonderful apartment. C met us there; we went to eat???? Nothing interesting.
Saturday morning we killed too much time getting up to the NYRR Club office to register for the Marathon Kickoff 5-Mile run in Central Park, then subwayed down to C's dorm, ate lunch at Three Squares across from Strasburg, then walked and walked and walked around Soho shopping and shopping and shopping. A moment of panic when I could not locate my wallet in my otherwise amazing Cantina Tote Bag from Sahalie, totally cool except its hidden pockets are so well hidden thatn I had somehow managed to drop my wallet deep into a pocket I did not know was even there. So there was a bit of a meltdown in H&M, a store I hate anyway. Anyway, disaster averted, we continued along, I bought a v. pretty winter-white, wool and cashmere 3/4 length coat for $89 YAY at Daffy's -- previous price: $385. Then I was much warmer and happier than I had been in chilly mid-50s weather wearing a sweater and a not-warm enough jacket of Sarah's.
We had dinner at a Korean restaurant with C's friend Sarah, who really IS Barbie, and then went to see "Slut, The Musical," which was v. fun. Then back to the apartment for much-needed sleep.
C slept in the next morning while Sarah and I went for the run, on a gorgeous day in Central Park, all the trees still green and lovely. I was happy with our time, 52:40, I think, for 5 miles, not bad given my utter failure to run much lately. Then bagels, back to the dorm, walking/shopping on Canal Street, looked at many many MANY knockoff handbags -- C got a "Preggio" bag and then we had to find the right little shop again to get the label changed to "Prada" -- ha ha. Couldn't find anything good for lunch so ended up at a chain sandwich place. Bought some yarn at P&S Fabrics, Sarah got a fake Burberry scarf and some bag that matched. Went to see "Forbidden Broadway, SVU" that night, also quite good, had fair pizza after, more crashing and burning at the apartment. Monday morning Sarah and I piddled around the NYU campus, I bought a new NYU Mom t-shirt and coffee mug, we met C for lunch and then headed back to get our stuff, get to JFK etc.
So interesting things: seeing Sting walking in Central Park. Being solicited in Union Square for Getty Images. Seeing a woman in orange patent stillettos trying to wrestle an excess amount of luggage onto the AirTrain. Wear what you should wear to travel! She did look great though, v. pulled together. Well, not great. I thought she was scary looking, but she was put together. Probably my age, 30 lbs lighter, low-slung jeans, black t-back t-shirt under a black cardigan, orange heels and orange chandelier earrings, platinum v. short hair. Clearly heading to Europe with a ton of luggage, a husband or someone with a cane who therefore was not helping her wrestle this huge amount of luggage. All she lacked was a small dog in a carryon.
In the Tampa airport I saw a disabled man with a miniature Aussie service dog. She was EXTREMELY cute.
Anyway, back at the ranch. Got ALMOST re-caught-up at work, but came home early since Jay and I are co-reviewing a show tonight. Played the mando for a bit -- can almost remember the song I've been working on. Now to fix some dinner and go to the show.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home