Adventures of Scooter Girl

Midlife crisis spurred my best purchase ever: My 2004 Vespa ET4, 150 ccs of fun.

Monday, December 05, 2005

It's December. Who knew?

It is almost impossible to feel like it's the holidays when you live in Southwest Florida. I mean, it's 80 degrees today! Don't get me wrong, it's beautiful. But seriously. Not really Christmas-y.

All the same, I am mostly finished with my shopping. I need to get more DeFeet socks for Dad, and something.... for Steve. He is the biggest pain to shop for. I have been thinking about getting him a digital camera but I don't think his 6-year-old computer will support it. So perhaps a keyboard, some new Keens of the not-sandal variety.... hard to say. I personally want two new chairs for the living room, to get rid of one of the loveseats, and diamond studs. OK, those are for my big Five-Oh coming next month. In such a few weeks.

I have discovered the best place ever, the Metro Cafe in Sarasota. It's five minutes' walk from the office. I go over there with my Metro card and a book, get a pot of tea, and settle in for 90 minutes of quiet reading, no phones. The place has the best chairs and leather sofas for reading. Nice music, etc. Good lunch. Sometime late in the day I will go over there and have a glass of wine while reading my book. Ahhhhh.

We had a good weekend. FINALLY spent the gift card Caren gave me last year on a mini-massage, mini-facial, brow wax, eyelash tint (don't bother -- didn't make a difference) and clear gloss on my hair. A nice three hours of self-indulgence. Then wandered over to Whole Foods, then out to the Squadron to meet Steve for lunch at a picnic table, overlooking the boats. Then did some shopping for Andrea at White House/Black Market and Binjara Traders. I forget what we did Sat. night -- I'd been nursing a cold for a couple of days and way tired. Oh, watched football.

Y'day I was inducted into the vestry at St. Boniface. This is against my better judgment, but I am hoping that this will be a more positive experience than when I was last on vestry at St. John's. We shall see. Watched some football in the afternoon, then went to Amanda's extremely fun post-Reading Festival party. Sadly, drank too much red wine, leading to this morning's wine headache.

And then in the journalismjobs.com listing, a features reporter job at the SLO paper. Makes my mouth water to think about moving home. Can we cut it on half the salary with twice the housing expense? Not likely. Still, will amuse myself by sending my packet of clips off to them. Why not? Maybe I can get an adjunct position at Cal Poly, ha ha. Why didn't I finish my master's? I'd be able to get a teaching job.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home